Geldingadalur Volcano Hike with Guidance
Volcanic Eruption in Geldingadalur, Fagradalsfjall
This first eruption in the Reykjanes Peninsula in about 800 years provides a unique opportunity to study the geologic mysteries of the region and is open for all to enjoy! After being shaken by months of increasingly disruptive earthquakes, including thousands in the past weeks, Iceland’s Reykjanes Peninsula is finally experiencing the volcanic eruption that many geologists suspected was on its way.
Reykjavik Excursions offers a guided tour to the volcanic eruption in Geldingadalur, known as Fagradalsfjall Volcano. The driver and guide will take the group to the start of the hiking route towards the volcano in Geldingadalur. The hike will take approximately 1.5 hours each way.
Don´t miss out on this once in a lifetime experience and witness the raw power of lava pouring out of the surface of the earth.
Reykjavik Excursions will follow the recommendations of the Civil protection service and cancel the tour if circumstances at the eruption site are unsafe.
Please be aware of the public guidance for hikers visiting the site. For more information visit the Safe Travel website.
· Be aware that the weather can change quickly.
· Wear hiking shoes, warm and waterproof clothing.
· Assume that the journey may take longer than planned.
· Bring a packed lunch and water to drink.
· Keep an eye on your travel companions. Fatigue and hypothermia come quickly.
· Stick to hills and ridges. Avoid valleys and dells in the landscape.
· There is a risk of rock fall. Beware of steep slopes
· The telephone connection in the area is bad and it can therefore be difficult to call for help if needed.
· Eruption sites can change, and new eruption cracks may open on short notice.
· Gas pollution is strongest close to the area and can lurk in valleys and dells where it is particularly dangerous.
· Gas pollution can change on short notice if the eruption suddenly increases, and it is dangerous to be near the eruption sites without measuring instruments.
|Best price guarantee|
|No hidden costs|
|Minimum age: 10 years|
What is included
- Bus fare
- Free Wi-Fi
- This is a guided tour & hike
- The hike is about 1.5 hours, each way
- Difficulty level: Moderate
- Distance: 8 km
- Elevation: 300 m
- Hikers will have approximately 1,5 hours to view the volcanic eruption
- This is an active volcano and the landscape around is ever changing due to running lava
Remember to dress according to weather and to bring food and drink.
Please wear hiking shoes and bring crampons as conditions can be slippery during winter.
- Travellers need to bring their own face mask and are required to use it onboard all buses.
- Hikers are responsible for following social distancing rules during the hike.
- Vehicle cleaned with Vectorfog - 100% Natural multi-surface disinfectant.